clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Arsenal Women 5-1 Tottenham: Everywhere they goooooooooooo

Arsenal are into the semi-final of the 2020-21 Women’s FA Cup after beating Tottenham 5-1.

Arsenal Women v Tottenham Hotspur Women: Vitality Women’s FA Cup Quarter Final Photo by David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images

It is the history of the Tottenham to be on the end of a thrashing by The Arsenal twice in the space of four days. The second result, a 5-1 win for Arsenal Women, did see Tottenham go ahead, but Spurs had no answer for Arsenal’s response, and the Gunners scored four goals in reply in the first half.

Jonas Eidevall made eight changes to the team that beat Manchester City, with Tobin Heath making her first start for Arsenal. Jordan Nobbs made her first start of the season, and Caitlin Foord and Nikita Parris completed Arsenal’s forward line.

Tottenham have never beaten Arsenal, but it was Spurs who took a shock lead after two minutes. Arsenal couldn’t clear their lines following a corner, and Rachel Williams collected Lia Wälti’s header and thrashed a shot into the top left corner, giving Lydia Williams no chance.

Arsenal’s response to being behind under Eidevall for the first time was immediate, and the Gunners upped the pressure. Heath set up Parris: after being dragged down in the penalty box, Heah got up, and played a cross but Parris, having to shift her feet, hit her shot into the path of two Arsenal players and Tottenham cleared their lines.

Heath was involved in Arsenal’s equalizer. Her cross was blocked by Asmita Ale, but Mana Iwabuchi beat Josie Green to the second ball, and from the edge of the box, curled her shot into the top corner to level the scores after fifteen minutes.

Arsenal have placed a greater emphasis on set pieces this season, and it was through that route that they went ahead: Heath’s delivery was met by Wubben-Moy, whose shot was turned into her own net by Asmita Ale.

Iwabuchi would set up the Arsenal third goal, playing a one-two with Parris, whose cross was turned in at close range by Caitlin Foord. Parris would add the Arsenal fourth: McCabe’s set piece was headed on by Anna Patten, and Parris beat Becky Spencer to the ball to head in Arsenal’s fourth goal on 44 minutes.

Arsenal were happy to play keep ball in the second half, and only added one more goal: Beth Mead’s pass over the top of the Tottenham back four was met by a sliding Foord, who got her second. Perhaps more significantly, there was a return of Viki Schanderbeck from injury, plus a successful season debut from Jordan Nobbs, and, crucially, Vivianne Miedema was fully rested.

The draw for the semi-final was done following the final whistle, and Arsenal have drawn Brighton in the semi-final at home, over the weekend of 30/31 October.