Arsenal just wrapped up the busiest transfer window in club history adding 6 players to the roster and selling / loaning out 10 others. All told, the Gunners spent £156.8M — a club record spend and the most in the Premier League this window.
The incoming players have an average age of 22.4-years old, a clear indicator of the club’s commitment to rebuild the roster with young players. Arsenal have the third-youngest squad in the Premier League, behind two of the promoted sides — Norwich and Brentford.
This post is a summary of all the moves the club made. We’ve got transfer grades coming later in the week.
Some leagues’ transfer window is still open, most notably Turkey where Mohamed Elneny has been linked with a move. The windows in Russia, Mexico, Portugal, and Australia are also still open. It is possible Arsenal are not completely finished with transfer business.
Arsenal signed six first-team players.
- Nuno Tavares, LB, £8M from Benfica.
- Sambi Lokonga, CM, £15M
- Ben White, RCB, £50M from Brighton & Hove Albion
- Martin Ødegaard, AM, £34M from Real Madrid
- Aaron Ramsdale, GK, £30M from Sheffield United
- Takehiro Tomiyasu, RB, £19.8M from Bologna
Arsenal sold / loaned ten senior players.
- Joe Willock sold to Newcastle for “in excess of” £20M
- Willian contract terminated by mutual consent, signed with Corinthians
- Dinos Mavropanos loaned to Stuttgart, £5M option to buy
- Matteo Guendouzi loaned to Marseille, ~£10M obligation to buy
- William Saliba loaned to Marseille, no option or obligation to buy
- Lucas Torreira loaned to Fiorentina, option to buy ~£15M
- Reiss Nelson loaned to Feyenoord, no option or obligation to buy, extended Arsenal contract
- Alex Runarsson loaned to OH Leuven, no option or obligation to buy
- Hector Bellerin loaned to Real Betis, no option or obligation to buy
- Dejan Iliev loaned to SKF Sered, Arsenal contract expires in June 2022
Arsenal signed three senior players to contract extensions.
- Kieran Tierney signed through 2026
- Emile Smith Rowe signed through 2026 and was given the #10 shirt
- Arthur Okonkwo signed through 2024 on his first senior contract
The Gunners also made a number of academy moves.
- Daniel Oyegoke - Brentford (Premier League)
- Zech Medley - Oostende (Belgian First Division)
- Trae Coyle - FC Lausanne–Sport (Swiss Super League)
- Mark McGuinness - Cardiff City (Championship)
- Ben Sheaf - Coventry City (Championship)
Full Season Loans
- Daniel Ballard - Millwall (Championship)
- Matt Smith - Doncaster Rovers (League One)
- Nikolaj Moller - FC Viktoria Koln (German 3.Liga)
- Deyan Iliev - SKF Sered (Slovakia Super League)
- Tyreece John-Jules - Blackpool (Championship)
- Harry Clarke - Ross County (Scottish Premiership)
- Tom Smith - Welling United (National League South)
- Jordi Osei-Tutu - Nottingham Forest (Championship)
- Miguel Azeez - Portsmouth (League One)
- Jonathan Dinzeyi - Carlisle United (League Two)
- Mika Biereth - joined the Arsenal U23s from Fulham’s academy.
- Kido Taylor-Hart - signed his first professional contract.
- Mazeed Ogungbo - signed his first professional contract.
- Ovie Ejeheri - signed his first professional contract.
- Nathan Butler-Oyedeji - signed his first professional contract.