Arsenal may have had a lackluster opening 100 minutes against Newcastle, but in the end, the stars of the recent revival in the Premier League came through as the Gunners advanced 2-0 in the FA Cup. Meanwhile, over the weekend Arsenal had numerous senior and U23 players who are out on loan involved in league and cup action. Here is a rundown of how the weekend went for the Gunners away from home.
Senior Players on Loan:
- Sead Kolasinac was straight into the Schalke lineup and wearing the captain’s armband as the club looked for new ideas sitting in last place in the Bundesliga heading into the weekend. Sead had a decent match considering the short amount of time he had training with his new squad, but the star of the 4-0 win (the club’s first this season) was young Matthew Hoppe who scored the first-ever hat trick in the Bundesliga by an American.
- Matteo Guendouzi started for Hertha Berlin but had a rough match as they lost 1-0 to Arminia Biefield. Hertha sit 12nd in the Bundesliga and Saturday’s performance was in contrast to what has been a productive season for the French midfielder.
- Konstantinos Mavropanos was an unused sub in Stuttgart’s 4-1 win. They are now 10th in the Bundesliga.
- Nice had a 1-1 draw leaving them mid-table in Ligue 1, as William Saliba started in the center of a back three. It’s been an odd path for the once exciting signing and it seems nearly impossible to predict his long-term future at this point.
Academy Prospects on Loan:
- Doncaster Rovers advanced in the FA Cup thanks to a 1-0 result over Blackburn with Tyreece John-Jules starting as the center forward. He’s had three goals and two assists so far in League One.
- Daniel Ballard started at center back for Blackpool as the League One side knocked out the Premier League’s West Brom on penalties after the teams were locked 2-2 at the end of extra time.
- Matt Smith started in the 10 role for Swindon Town in their 3-2 win. That win lifted Swindon to 22nd in League One.
- On the flip side of that result, Mark McGuinness started in the center of defense for Ipswich Town. Despite the setback, Ipswich is 8th in League One and just a point out of the playoff positions.
- Ben Sheaf started in the defensive midfield role for Coventry City is a 2-0 loss to Norwich City, getting subbed off after 69 minutes.
- Harry Clarke played as the left center back in a back three as League Two side Oldham Athletic lost 4-1 to Bournemouth. He has been a regular for them this season, but his loan is currently set to expire later this month.
- Southend United are at the bottom of League Two but pulled out a surprising win on Saturday 1-0 over fellow relegation contenders Barrow. James Olayinka started on the left side of Southend’s attack front line.
Final Notes & Inactive Players:
- Lucas Torriera’s Atletico Madrid had their match called off due to a snowstorm.
- Zech Medley and Trae Coyle were not included in Gillingham’s squad which lost in League One action against Burton.
- Jordi Osei-Tutu missed out on Cardiff City’s FA Cup loss to Nottingham Forest after picking up an injury with the Cardiff U23s.
- Dejan Iliev was idle with Shrewsbury Town’s FA Cup match called off due to COVID. He has only managed three appearances with his loan set to expire this month.
- Tolaji Bola, Tom Smith, & Zak Swanson are already back with the club having completed their half-season loans and awaiting a decision on if they will be with the Arsenal U23s or another lower-division club on loan for the second half of the campaign. With Kolasinac at Schalke, might Bola remain as an emergency option for left-back?