Mikel Arteta has clearly made an impact on Arsenal in his short time as manager. He came in mid-season, trying to pick up the pieces that Unai Emery left, has had to deal with a massive break in the season and numerous injuries. However, we can begin to see how much of a difference he can make with these players and it’s exciting to think about how he may reshape the team in the coming years.
This summer offers Arteta his first real chance to begin rebuilding Arsenal. Even with the unique circumstances, impacted finances, and potential shortened window, the Gunners should do business once the season ends. So who would you sell?
Note: I’m excluding any U23 players that are close to breaking through, and players who were on loan of all last season and are expected to do so again or exit (Elneny or Mhki).
Who is your top defender to sell?
This poll is closed
- Shkodran Mustafi - 28 years old and has one season left on his contract. It’s the ideal time frame to sell a player, but he has been Arteta’s most solid CB during the back half of the season. His value has likely gone up since last summer and there will be suitors in Italy, Germany or Spain.
- Sead Kolasinac - 27 with two years left on his contract. He has had moments where he thrived as a left-wing back, but that is now Tierney’s position, and other games where he left a lot to be desired. An emergency left CB in a three-back system or backup LB isn’t someone that is critical to any club. Given his age, he may want a move to secure first choice playing time, but it would force Arsenal to sign a a backup for Tierney.
- Callum Chambers - 25, with two seasons left, Chambers is coming back from a long term injury. That may impact his transfer window value, but he is likely down the depth chart for Arteta and it may be best for him to find a new home. For a club with a lot of CBs and two senior RBs, where is Callum’s position?
Who is your top midfielder to sell?
This poll is closed
- Mattéo Guendouzi - 21, with two years left on his deal, Arteta appears to be fed up with the young midfielder, even if Mikel is saying all the right things to the press. One of the most valuable assets the club has this summer, there are going to be plenty of clubs interested in Guendouzi. It’s hard to see him working his place back into the team, so it is probably time to cash in.
- Ainsley Maitland-Niles - 22 and under contract until the summer of 2023. Talented and versatile. There will always be a place in the team for someone like that, but is he okay with being a catch-all? Does AMN value more starts or can he secure a position in Arteta’s redesigned Arsenal?
- Mesut Özil - 31, with one season left. You know the drill. Massive salary, doesn’t play as often as he use to, and his position continues to drift from favor. Clubs will be open to bringing in Ozil, but it’ll be hard to convince him to walk away from his wages and life in London.
Who is your top attacker to sell?
This poll is closed
- Alexandre Lacazette - 29/2 years remaining. He’s been floated around as a swap options with several clubs. With Auba, Martinelli, and Nketiah, does the club need Lacazette? If you are keeping Auba, selling Lacazette could help fund a new CM, CB, or replacing someone you sold above.
- Reiss Nelson - 20/3 years remaining. Academy product who had a great year in Germany, returning to London with the idea he would be a serious first choice contender. Then the club signed Pepe. The two add nice options for Arteta’s attack, but does Nelson see a long term place for him at the moment. Surely there are clubs in England and around Europe that would be happy to pick him up.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - 31/1 year remaining. He’s the best player on the team, but one of the most attractive to clubs across Europe. Arsenal and Auba have to decide to either make the deal and reinvest or give him a raise and play out his remaining peak years. Are you making the dramatic move or keeping him around as Arteta rebuilds the squad?
You’ve cast your votes, now give your reasons. Let us know who you picked, why and how much you think they could be sold for? Or if there is another first team player you would sell instead.