clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Arsenal vs. Leicester City: Premier League - Predicted Starting XI & Bench

New, comments

The Gunners head to the King Power Stadium as underdogs.

Arsenal FC v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Premier League Photo by Chloe Knott - Danehouse/Getty Images

Remember that last Premier League win? No? It was 1-0 over Bournemouth on October 6th. Over a month later and Arsenal still somehow are sitting in 5th place in the league. The last road Premier League victory? That was opening day, 1-0 over Newcastle. Saturday against Leicester City will not be an easy match - anywhere on the pitch for the Gunners - but heading into another international break, the club and Unai Emery desperately need a result.

If you need a refresher on all how things are going over at Leicester City, I spoke with Jack Lee from SB Nation’s Fosse Posse earlier this week. FiveThirtyEight predicts a 53% chance of a Leicester win, 24% for an Arsenal result, and a 23% chance of a draw. Emery is without Dani Ceballos and Granit Xhaka, so the majority of the lineup seems to set itself.

Check out the gallery below for the predicted starting XI.

Notes on the XI

  • Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang didn’t start on Wednesday in the Europa League ensuring both will start on the road this weekend.
  • Mattéo Guendouzi, Bernd Leno, Sokratis and David Luiz are also safe bets against Leicester.
  • Dani Ceballos is out injured and Emery confirmed Granit Xhaka will not be in the squad this weekend. That almost certainly forces Mesut Ozil into the 10 spot and Lucas Torreira with the nod in midfield since Joe Willock started midweek.
  • At fullback, Bellerin was rested for the past two matches and will be a key figure in trying to stop Leicester’s attack. On the other side, Kieran Tierney started the last two games. There is no way he’s playing three games in a week, so Saed Kolasinac is back in.
  • Pepe started on Wednesday and went the full 90, but I still feel like he is back in the XI. Reiss Nelson is returning from injury and both Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka also played in Europe. Thus you go with your big summer signing in a must win match.

Bench

  1. Emiliano Martinez
  2. Kieran Tierney
  3. Calum Chambers
  4. Joe Willock
  5. Gabriel Martinelli
  6. Bukayo Saka
  7. Ainsley Maitland-Niles

How to watch

Saturday (11/9) at 12:30 am ET / 9:30 am PT on the NBC Sports Network.

Needing a big result in the league and facing off against a much more in-form opponent, how do you think Emery lines up on Saturday?