I'm pretty much non-religious, but days like today make me wonder if I'm wrong, and there is a god or gods, and he/she/they decided at some point to just mess with Arsenal as much as possible. Arsenal lost to West Brom at the Hawthorns for the first time in over a decade by a score of 2-1, and for Arsenal it was a Murphy's Law cavalcade of despair. Let's take a look at some of the things that went wrong today:
- After fifteen minutes, Francis Coquelin injured himself trying to make a sliding challenge on a 50/50 ball, and had to leave the game.
- Mikel Arteta, who replaced Coquelin, committed a contentious foul and then on the resulting free kick, he and Hector Bellerin both lost their man and allowed what was at the time an equalizing goal.
- Not long thereafter, a Mesut Özil giveaway and a Bellerin tackle missed led to a cross into the box, which Petr Čech also missed. It hit Arteta in the hand and went in for an own goal.
- About two minutes into the second half, Arteta suffered a calf injury and had to leave for a substitute of his own.
- Joel Campbell (who came on with Arsenal chasing) somehow managed to miss the goal entirely from point-blank range, after his defender slipped in the box leaving him totally unmarked and onside.
- Santi Cazorla slipped taking a penalty earned late by Alexis Sanchez, and skied the shot over the bar entirely.