Welcome to part two of TSF's (irregularly occurring) series Kids These Days, where we'll have fun taking a look at an Arsenal youth prospect, while also seriously analyzing their game and their prospects for making into the first team long term.
This edition's prospect is a youngster you've probably never heard about: Gedion Zelalem. He's flown under the radar quite a bit, so let's dive in and see if we can't learn a little bit more about this anonymous prospect.
- Zelalem is 17 years young, though he turns 18 at the end of January. Beers are on him, because he already makes more than you.
- When he came on in the FA Cup tie versus Coventry City last season, he became the first player to play for Arsenal who was born after Arsene Wenger took over at the club.
- He is German based on the principle of jus soli. He is Ethiopian based on the principle of jus sanguinis. Most importantly, he's a United States citizen because government bureaucrats did their job right, for once.
- Pronounces his name "Ze-LAH-lem", according to this video. Also important from that video, he gets pumped up to "Lose Yourself" by Eminem, much like I did when I was 17.
- His nickname is "Geds." I'm never going to call him that.
- Wikipedia says he's 5'11. That seems about right!
- He's been at Arsenal since the summer of 2012, but didn't officially join until he was 16. The FA has some weird rules, man.
- He's been in the Arsenal first-team squad longer than Alexis Sanchez, technically!