clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Let's Play Catchup With The Arsenal Ladies

Its been a minute since an Arsenal Ladies update, so let's get right to it.


This one hurt. The Gunners were looking to extend their four game FA WSL win streak and improve interim manager Kelly Smith's record to 3-0 against a Chelsea side that has been absolutely killing it this season. The Blues currently sit first on the ladder with 23 points from 11 games, and unfortunately three of those points came from this game.

It was a back and forth game, and Short Fuse favorite Dan Dan Carter got the scoring started with her goal in 10th minute. Just minutes later Carter broke into the box and earned a penalty. Unfortunately Casey Stoney was not able to convert, which is something I haven't had to say much this season. Then it was Chelsea's turn for a penalty after Alex Scott was called for a handball in the box, and Yuki Ogimi stepped to the spot and sent home the equalizer.

Literally just seconds after the ensuing Arsenal kickoff Chelsea struck again. Gronen sent in a relatively weak shot, but Byrne seemed a bit surprised by the effort as it slowly rolled over the line to put Chelsea up 2-1.

With things having gone rapidly downhill in just mere minutes, Leah Williamson took matters into her own hands. The midfielder was pressing high against the visitors defense and was able to jump on a misplayed back pass from Hannah Blundell. Williamson then chipped the charging keeper Hourihan to tie things up heading into the break.

The second half saw a dwindle in highlight reel material, but provided plenty of crunching tackles. Chelsea grabbed the game winner through Ji So Yun, who finished off a poor clearance from Byrne. While a win could have put Arsenal just three points out of first place, but the loss means they still sit in fourth place.


Mark it down, the Arsenal Ladies will be heading to a fourth consecutive Continental Cup final. The semifinal match with Notts County was a tense affair, and needed more than the full 90 minutes to decide a winner.

The Gunners were creating most of the chances in this match, but Notts County was up to the test and held the game scoreless heading into halftime. As for offense, Notts County didn't threaten often but did have a chance for what surely would have been a heartbreaking game winner with just one minute left. Emma Byrne made the save, recovering well from her less than spectacular outing against Chelsea.

Now's a good time to remind everyone that Kelly Smith is not only the interim manager, but also a player and a good one at that. After subbing herself in late in the second half, Smith and company came flying out of the gates during extra time. Just nine minutes in Smith was able to set up Caroline Weir, whose sailing shot found the back of the net to put the Arsenal up 1-0. Smith would cap off her performance by finishing a penalty to ensure the Arsenal Ladies win.

The final will be against Manchester City, so get ready to rumble.


It's time for Pedro Losa's managerial debut, as the Ladies head to Bristol Academy looking for important FA WSL points. Shoutout to Kelly Smith for going 3-1 as manager, I have a feeling we may see more of that in the future.