Happy Monday to you all. Yesterday didn't according to plan, much like most matches we've witnessed thus far in the current campaign, and our continued lack of depth and available, trusted first-team options is slimmer than ever before. Given our ongoing streak of Champions League qualification run and current table position, it makes sense that most of the transfer noise in the EPL appears to be coming from Colney as Arsene Wenger and Arsenal have been linked with a host of players representing positions from the front of the pitch all the way to the back. First, let's cover the players whose odds of moving to Ashburton Grove are getting slimmer by the hour:
- Long-time target Yoann Gourcuff, who's been linked to us since approximately the Truman administration, appears set for a stay at Lyon as club president (and transfer window extraordinaire) Jean-Michel Aulas squashed a move away for the oft-injured French midfielder.
- Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, highlighted by our very own Thomas Wachtel, is rumored to be set for a Newcastle medical, as the three sides appear to have agreed on both the fees and contract. With the amount of players suddenly linked to the Geordies, the author still holds the opinion that Mike Ashley is a steaming pile of orangutan feces
- Wilfried Zaha, longtime Arsenal supporter, is willing to ditch the emotional attachment he's given the club throughout the years in order to move to Manchester United. Rumor has it the Crystal Palace winger and Sir Red Face Magoo met recently to hammer out the finer details behind a 15 million pound move to Old Trafford, with Zaha being loaned back to Selhurst Park as the south London club continue to challenge for a Premier League promotion.
And now for some links involving players whose odds of moving to Arsenal are, uh, less-slimmer by the hour:
- Yann M'Vila - yes, him - is set to join approximately three clubs at the same time, if the Times is to believed. One of them is Arsenal, as Arsenal are set to nick Harry Redknapp and QPR for his signature. There's no news how the clubs will share the French international's available time.
- I love Google Translate. This service provides me the ability to read news in other languages I never imagined I'd be able to do. Take for instance the article in today's Sport regarding David Villa's ongoing drama at Barcelona. Whereas I would have struggled to make it a word or two into the article as printed before casting it aside and choosing to believe the article was reporting that Red Bull was going to push a mule from 120,000 feet, Translate instead shone light upon my English-only mind:
"David Villa is going through its worst sports since he landed at the club: his presence has been significantly diminished this season, why the Asturian player joined coach Tito Vilanova, to suggest the possibility of abandoning and equipment in the winter."
- Of course, this all makes sense now. All he wants to do is abandoning and equipment in the winter. Easy enough, right? Moving on...
- SC Bastia "categorically denies" rumors that they are in deep negotiations with Arsenal over the transfer of their talented winger, Florian Thauvin. Which means they are in deep negotiations with Arsenal over the transfer of their talented winger, Florian Thauvin.
- Because this wouldn't be a true TSF transfer window rumors post without something involving Etienne Capoue (whose name I apparently can't pronounce correctly; you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out more about this), here's something about blah blah blah what am I thinking we're not going to sign him sorry apostolos.